What is Google Plus?
Google Plus is the latest social networking website to hit the internet. The fact that it is from Google should have been enough evidence to prove that it would be a big thing; just like other products from Google.
Though the site is still young, all Gmail users have instant access to Google Plus, which is partly responsible for the rapid rise in users. Some experts have said that Google Plus is more engaging and compelling than Facebook due to its easy sharing and connection features.
Google Plus, most of the time abbreviated as G+ or Google+, is a new social networking and identity services site run by Google. Originally, the site was opened in June, 2011 but was soon closed due to overwhelming numbers demanding for new accounts. Google Plus was later opened in September to people of age 18 years and above without the need for invitations.
Google Plus is the integration of a number of existing services such as Google Buzz and Google Profiles, with an introduction of new services such as Circles, Sparks, Hangouts, among many others.
On a wide scope, Google Plus is viewed as Google’s idea to compete with Facebook; a rival social media network with more than 800 million users. In fact, Google Plus is Google’s fourth attempt to dominate the social media world.
But they may have cracked the code this time. There are very interesting features offered by Google Plus, which is the reason why it is causing so much buzz online.
Before you start wondering why you need Google Plus in your business, we should look at some statistics showing its progress and where numbers stand now.
The Explosive Growth of Google Plus: Statistics
- By mid-July 2011, Google Plus had grown to 10 million users, which happened over a period of two weeks of launching. After four weeks, they had reached 25 million users.
- Google Plus had reached 40 million users by October 2011 and the year ended with 90 million users (Larry Page)
- Approximately 60% of all the Google Plus users log into their accounts on a daily basis
- Approximately 80% of Google Plus users log into their accounts once a week
- Google Plus has a little over 1 million business pages
- Google Plus popularity has been on an upward trend with a quarter of its users joining in December 2011 alone (Ancestry.com)
- An analysis from ComScore, shows that the US is the biggest market for Google Plus; closely followed by India
- In just less than a day, the Google Plus iPhone application made it to the most popular application offered by the Apple app store free of cost
- The age bracket for most Google Plus users is 25 to 34 years
With these statistics, you better believe that Google Plus is so far, the fastest growing social network site today.
Google Plus Features
The different features available on Google Plus are extremely efficient and engaging.
Let’s take a closer look at some of the features that Google Plus has to offer:
- Circles: this is a feature that allows users to share information through organizing contact groups. The sharing can be done across the many Google services. The circles include family, acquaintances, friends, and following, which is a good way to follow celebrities or public figures.
- Hangouts: this feature enables users to chat with each other (up to 10 users at a time) using video chat applications.
- Sparks: this is a feature that allows users to identify topics they might be interested in and then share them with other users. It allows users to remain updated on topics they are interested in.
These are just a few of the many features that are offered by Google Plus. You will have to become a member of this amazing social media network to learn how the other applications work and how you can take advantage of this site to improve your business.
Relevance to Small Businesses
It is not a question of whether or not you want to join Google Plus as a business owner. The most important thing in your business is marketing and knowing where your customers are. In this internet-controlled world, you should use any means necessary to reach your customers online.
To be successful in marketing your local business, you have to move with technology and even if you only attract 10 new customers via Google Plus, the account is worth it.
In efforts to maintain a customer base and attract new prospects you should be in constant communication with them. Google Plus gives your business an opportunity to take your marketing messages where your target audience is spending their time.
Google Plus is as effective as any of the three major social networks and can assist your small business a great deal. If you are looking to boost your business, you should conduct research to see how many potential customers you can reach through the use of Google Plus.
This could be the next big thing in Internet marketing, so don’t get left behind.
Click here to view our Google+ Business Page.
Social Media Platforms
- Facebook for business
- Twitter for business
- Google+ for business
- LinkedIn for business
- YouTube for business
- Pinterest for business
Need Help Marketing Your Business With Google+?
Videos To Help You Market Your Business Online
We have a number videos aimed to help small businesses with their online marketing. The videos cover SEO, Social Media Marketing, Website Design, Video Marketing, Reputation Marketing, Mobile Marketing and more; all designed to offer useful hints, tips and advice for small to medium business owners. These can be found on our online marketing videos for small businesses page.
Blue Square Management
9 Grange Rd
Tel: 01689 602 248
Email: [email protected]