What is Pinterset?
Pinterest is a social media network that is a pinboard-style photo-sharing website that allows users to create, share and manage theme-based image and video collections such as interests, sport, fashion etc. Users can view other peoples pinboards for images and videos and ‘re-pin’ any image or video that they like to your own pinboards, similar to Facebook’s ‘like’ button. Users can either upload images from their computer or pin things they find on the web using the Pinterest bookmarklet, Pin It button, or just a URL .
Pinterest was launched in March 2010 as a closed beta and people could join by invitation only.
According to Hitwsie, in December 2011, Pinterest joined the top 10 largest social media platforms in the world, with over 11 million visitors per week. At the beginning of 2012, it drove more visitors to retail websites than Google+, LinkedIn and YouTube, while at the same time became the fastest growing site in history, with 11.7 million unique visitors, most of which are female.
Pinterest Trends & Statistics
The Following statistics show the numbers behind the success of Pinterest in the Social media world:
- As of February 2013, Pinterest has 25 million users. (Business Insider)
- In the fashion and retail industries, 18% of content engagement on Pinterest is driven by brands, 82% by community. (Digitas)
- There are more than 200,000 active Pinterest users in the UK
- 70% of brand engagement on Pinterest is generated by users, not brands. (Digitas)
- Pinterest pins that include prices receive 36% more likes than those that do not. (Shopify)
- Pinterest accounts for 25% of retail referral traffic. (Rich Relevance)
- 83% of Pinterest users are women. In the U.S., the most popular categories are Fashion, Desserts, Clothes and Birthdays.
Why Your Business Should Use Pinterest
- 43% of Pinterest users agree that they use Pinterest to “associate with retailers or brands with which I identify”, compared to just 24% of Facebook users who agree to the same use with Facebook
- 25% of Fortune Global 100 companies have Pinterest accounts
- Pinterest is virtually tied with Twitter (at 3.6%) for the amount of referred social traffic it sends to websites
Business Marketing With Pinterest
Social media marketing is ever evolving for businesses, even more so now with the introduction of Pinterest and can be a challenge to keep up to date with all that is going on.
Using Pinterest to engage with your customers is somewhat different from other forms of social media marketing, such as Twitter and Facebook, as it is mainly image based. Being image based, it will especially suit businesses that sell products, either online or offline, however, any business can use Pinterest to increase its brand awareness and website traffic.
- Use High Quality Images. As Pinterest is a visual base social network, you need to use and create good quality images.
- Add Good Images To Your Blog. Every article or post should contain a quality image that represents the article.
- Infographics. Pinterest loves infographics. If you have any form of data, convert it into an infographic.
- Ebook and Book Covers. If your company has produced an ebook or book pin the cover.
- Create a Videos Gallery. Add videos that have been produced about your business or pin videos that are about your business that your customers may find interesting.
Check out Blue Square Management’s Pinterest page here
Social Media Platforms
- Facebook For Business
- Twitter For Business
- Google+ For Business
- LinkedIn For Business
- YouTube For Business
- Pinterest For Business
Need Help Marketing Your Business With Pinterest?
Videos To Help You Market Your Business Online
We have a number videos aimed to help small businesses with their online marketing. The videos cover SEO, Social Media Marketing, Website Design, Video Marketing, Reputation Marketing, Mobile Marketing and more; all designed to offer useful hints, tips and advice for small to medium business owners. These can be found on our online marketing videos for small businesses page.
Blue Square Management
9 Grange Rd
Tel: 01689 602 248
Email: [email protected]