Step 4: Research the market
No business exists in a vacuum. You need to understand the ecosystem that you are working in. Study your marketplace by researching
- Your competitors
- Expert commentators
- Social media
- Review sites
- Anywhere your target market gathers.
Explore possibilities for improving your positioning against that competitive environment by building upon your company’s core strengths.
Step 5: Reveal the hidden wealth in your business
You will likely have elements within your business that would be highly persuasive to your prospects, if only your prospects could get exposed to them. The key is to identify all of these persuasion assets, then present them to the prospect at the right time in the buying process. In effect your website should be a “proof magnet”, incorporating all the necessary support material, persuasive content and evidence necessary to move your prospect forward with confidence.
It can also be useful to identify assets that would be compelling to your prospects —
- Invest time in gathering your company’s existing material and sort through your collection to find under-used persuasive assets.
- Create missing assets that would be persuasive to your target market, if only you had them.
- Compile a wish-list of persuasive content and material that your company needs to acquire from outside sources, such as paying for material to be created or interviewing clients for case studies and results.
Step 6: Create your experimental strategy
Extraordinary improvements come from extraordinary ideas. Take all of the ideas you’ve generated from the research, and prioritize those big, bold, targeted ones that will grow your business in the shortest time. After collating all the ideas, prioritize them based on three simple metrics:
- How likely is it to double your conversion rate?
- How easy it is to implement the test?
- Has this idea worked before?
Summary of Part 2
Rather than starting with the first optimization experiments that come to you, it will pay big dividends if you take a short step back and really research and prioritize what you should be working on. As you have seen, there might be gold hiding in terms of your positioning in the marketplace and in your previously under-used proof elements. You can see how Conversion Rate Experts used this exact process to quadruple Voices.com’s conversion rate from under 5% to 22% here in this case study. In the next and final part of this series, we will put all of this research and planning to good use.